This private bank was established as S & J Alcock & Co in 1830 by S Alcock and Joseph Alcock, solicitor. It was known as J, J & G Alcock by 1846 and also known as Burslem Commercial Bank. The bank was acquired by Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co in 1865.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of J, J & G Alcock & Co have the reference code ALC.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68 KB).
- banknote c.1850s
- customer account passbook 1856-61
- letter from Bank of England 1865