This joint stock bank was established in 1836 as Ashton, Stalybridge, Hyde & Glossop Banking Co with a capital of £500,000, of which £20,000 was paid-up. The bank traded from 84 Stamford Street, Ashton-under-Lyne under the management of John Coulthart. A financial crisis during its first year dissuaded the bank from opening the branches originally intended in Stalybridge, Hyde and Glossop. In 1847 the bank moved to Croft House, Stamford Street. The company assumed limited liability as Ashton, Stalybridge, Hyde & Glossop Bank Ltd in 1884. In 1900, when paid-up capital was £50,000, it amalgamated with Parr’s Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Ashton, Stalybridge, Hyde & Glossop Bank Ltd have the reference code ASH.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- deeds of settlement 1836-1888
- stock ledger 1836-1900
- directors’ meeting minute books 1836-1902
- manager’s interest rate book 1838
- manager's memorandum book 1875-1880
- shareholder register 1895-1899
- shareholder circulars 1897, 1900
- memorandum and articles of association 1898
- amalgamation agreements 1900
- private account books 1880-1900
- staff secrecy pledges book 1836-1900
Note issue records
- banknote 1838