This private bank, also known as Yeovil Old Bank, was established by 1774, when Samuel Daniell was appointed to receive and exchange deficient gold coin. The firm was known as Samuel Daniell & Co by 1796 and a number of partnership and name changes followed. In 1849, when known as J & HB Batten, the bank was acquired by Stuckey’s Banking Co of Langport.
Detailed list of name changes
- Samuel Daniell from 1774
- Samuel Daniell & Co by 1796
- Daniell & Hutchings by 1812
- Batten, Sparks & Co by 1819
- Batten, Sparks & Baker by 1823
- Edmund & John Batten by 1829
- John Batten, John Batten junior & Henry Butler Batten 1840s
- John Batten & Herbert Butler Batten by 1846
Also known as Yeovil Old Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of J & H B Batten Co have the reference code BAT.
- banknote 1840s