This joint stock bank was established in Market Place, Newbury, in 1841 as County of Berks Union Banking Co, with a capital of £200,000. It appears to have changed its name to Berkshire Union Banking Co in the early 1840s. By 1852 the bank had branches in Abingdon, Wantage, Reading, Windsor and Wallingford. In 1852 the bank was taken over by London & County Banking Co.
Branches: By the time of the bank's acquisition in 1852 it was operating 5 branches.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Berkshire Union Banking Co have the reference code BER.
- cheque forms n.d., c.1840s