This private bank was established in 1816. Officially called William, John & Thomas Brocklehurst, it was also known as Macclesfield Bank. The partners were local silk manufacturers and cotton merchants. They moved into banking following the 1816 failure of the local bank Critchley & Turner (est.1806).
Despite successive partnership changes the firm retained the name William, John & Thomas Brocklehurst & Co. It was acquired by Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co in 1891.
- CS Davies, A History of Macclesfield (1976)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of William, John & Thomas Brocklehurst & Co have the reference code BRO.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- banknotes 1812-1813, 1889
- canal company share receipts 1830-1831
- customer account passbooks 1889-1891