This private bank was established as Thomas Butcher & Son in High Street, Tring, in 1836. Its founders were Thomas Butcher, a local seed and corn merchant, and his son Thomas. The partnership later expanded to include Thomas junior's sons Frederick and George, and the business became known as Thomas Butcher & Sons; it was also known as Tring Old Bank. The bank was represented at Aylesbury and Chesham on market days.
Branches were opened in Aylesbury in 1837, Chesham in 1840 and Berkhamsted in 1900. The bank became known as Tring, Aylesbury & Chesham Bank.
Thomas Butcher & Sons was taken over by Prescott, Dimsdale, Cave, Tugwell & Co of London in 1900.
Branches: at the time of its acquisition in 1900, the bank was operating 3 branches.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Thomas Butcher & Sons have the reference code BUT.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- cheques 1800s
- note registers 1836-1899
- balance sheet 1890
- banknotes n.d., 1891
- amalgamation papers 1899-1911
- various branch records n.d., 1877-1885