This co-partnership bank was established in 1778 in Castle Street, Aberdeen, by 16 local merchants and manufacturers. It issued its own notes and briefly (around 1783) operated a branch in Arbroath. On establishment its shares were issued in denominations of £1,500 and by 1810 the bank had become so profitable that each share was worth £6,880.
In 1833, when the co-partnership was dissolved, the bank had £20,000 notes in circulation and £90,000 on deposit. The business and premises were taken over by National Bank of Scotland.
- Over Two Centuries of Banking in Aberdeen (Edinburgh: privately published by the Royal Bank of Scotland, 1996)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Commercial Banking Co of Aberdeen have the reference code AB.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- sederunt book 1814-1839