This private bank was established in 1837 as Bailey, Morgan & Co by Sir Joseph Bailey and William Morgan. The Baileys were industrialists who owned the Cyfarthfa, Nantyglo and Beaufort ironworks and several collieries. The bank was also known as Monmouthshire Agricultural & Commercial Bank. By 1846 the bank was called Joseph Bailey, Crawshay Bailey, Thomas Gratrex and William Williams. Branches were established in Monmouth and Newport. The bank also took over National Provincial Bank of England’s branch at Usk, but later closed it down.
In 1868 the bank was taken over by National Provincial Bank of England. At the time it was acquired it was known as Crawshay, Bailey & Co and the partners were Crawshay Bailey senior and junior, Thomas Gratrex and Philip Williams.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Crawshay, Bailey & Co have the reference code CRA.
- customer circular 1868