Guinness Permanent Building Society was established in Dublin in 1901 to advance loans to employees of Arthur Guinness Son & Co Ltd for the purchase of houses. In 1911 it had 125 members and advances of £2,485, increasing to 622 members and advances of £375,000 in 1937 and 1,300 members and £427,680 advances in 1978. The Society had assets of over £1.9m in 1984 when it was acquired by First National Building Society of Dublin.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Guinness Permanent Building Society have the reference code FAB/29.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- directors’ and general meeting minutes 1953-84
Summary of archival records elsewhere
- Guinness Archives: loan applications and related correspondence 1901-c.1940 (Ref: GPBS)