This private bank was established in 1808 as Rolph & Co by George Rolph, an attorney. The firm was also known as Thornbury Bank and later Thornbury Old Bank. In 1891, when styled Harwood & Co, the bank was acquired by Prescott, Dimsdale, Cave, Tugwell & Co Ltd.
Detailed list of name changes
- Rolph & Co in 1808
- Rolph, Yates & Co by 1810
- Rolph, Yates & Parslow by 1812
- Parslow, Rolph & Co by 1820
- Rolph, Yates & Parslow by 1841
- Harwood, Hatcher & Co or Harwood, Hatcher & Sams by 1856
- Harwood & Co by 1862
Also known as Thornbury Bank and as Thornbury Old Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Harwood & Co have the reference code HRW.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68 KB).
- cash balance book 1858
- signature book 1862-76
- agreements re acquisition by Prescott, Dimsdale, Cave, Tugwell & Co 1891
- cheque forms n.d.
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Gloucestershire Archives: Various unlisted papers n.d.; papers re partnership dissolution 1862-3 (Ref: D1606; D4365/A1, B2)