This private bank was established in St Mary Axe, City of London, in about 1800 as Joseph Denison & Co. The bank had moved to Fenchurch Street by 1814. The firm was known as Denison, Heywood, Kennard & Co from 1836, when it was trading in Lombard Street, and as Heywood, Kennards & Co from 1850. It amalgamated with Bank of Manchester Ltd to form Consolidated Bank Ltd in 1863.
- FG Hilton Price, A Handbook of London Bankers (London: Chatto & Windus, 1876)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Heywood, Kennards & Co have the reference code HEY.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- customer account passbook 1846-8
- private ledger 1850-9
- bill of exchange 1858
- cheques and cheque forms c.1836-60
- presscutting re amalgamation 1863
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Hull University Archives: Correspondence with Sykes family re banking and financial matters 19th cent. (Ref: U DDSY/101/50, 55).