This private bank was established in Partridge Lane, Faversham, in 1796 as James, Bax, Hilton & Jones or Bax & Co. It was also known as Faversham Commercial Bank, later Faversham Bank. In 1866 the bank underwent an abortive merger with English Joint Stock Bank (est. 1866, failed 1866) and resumed as a private bank. In 1892, when styled Hilton, Rigden & Rigden, the bank was acquired by Prescott, Dimsdale, Cave, Tugwell & Co Ltd of London.
Detailed list of name changes
- James, Bax, Hilton & Jones or Bax & Co in 1796
- Bax, Jones & Co by 1802
- Jones, Wreight & Co by 1806
- Jones, Hilton & Wreight by 1810
- Wreight & Hilton by 1812
- Hilton, Rigden & Hilton from 1840
- Hilton, Rigden & Rigden from 1867
- Hilton & Rigden from 1871
- Hilton, Rigden & Rigden from 1884
Also known as Faversham Commercial Bank and as Faversham Bank.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Hilton, Rigden & Rigden have the reference code HIL.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- partners' papers 1863-72
- cheques 1866-92
- customer signature book c.1860s-90s
- banknotes c.1800-30, 1882-92
- customers' papers 1871, 1883-4
- customer circular re consols 1888
- amalgamation agreement 1902