This private bank was established in 1790 as Cutcliffe, Ley, Glubb, Willcock. Its founders were Charles Cutcliffe, a Barnstaple banker; James Ley, a merchant; John Glubb, an attorney; and Stephen Willcock, a merchant. It was styled Cutliffe & Co, Willcock, Ley in 1797 and Ley & Co from 1810, following Cutcliffe’s retirement; it was also known as Bideford Old Bank. The bank was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England in 1843.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Ley & Co have the reference code LEY.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- circular re amalgamation with National Provincial Bank of England 1844