This joint stock bank was established in Nottingham in 1834 as Nottingham & Nottinghamshire Banking Co with a capital of £500,000. The bank traded in Pelham Street under the management of Peter Watt, a Scottish banker. Branches were quickly opened in Mansfield (1834), Loughborough (1834), Newark (1835), Worksop (1836) and Retford (1836). By the 1840s the bank's London agents were London & Westminster Bank. In 1841 the bank encountered difficulties but survived the crisis with support from key shareholders. A branch was opened at Southwell (1874) and a new head office building constructed in Nottingham in 1881. In 1884 the bank assumed limited liability as Nottingham & Nottinghamshire Banking Co Ltd with a capital of £1.3 million. Expansion continued and by 1911 the bank had almost 30 branches. It was acquired by London County Westminster & Parr's Bank in 1919.
Branches: The bank opened about 39 branches and sub-branches between 1834 and 1919. In 1919 20 branches and 18 sub-branches were operating.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Nottingham & Nottinghamshire Banking Co Ltd have the reference code NOT.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- directors' meeting minute books 1833-1919
- deeds of settlement 1834-92
- share transfer deeds 1835-9
- share certificates 1835, 1870s, 1908, 1918
- letterbooks: 1844-61, manager’s 1897-1909
- annual return 1880
- amalgamation papers 1919-34
- balance sheet book 1907-18
- customer account ledger 1834-5
- cheque forms 1850s-90s, post 1900
- clerks' salary minute book 1872-1901
- officers' engagement agreement book 1873-92
- staff dinner menu 1878
- staff rules book 1893
- salary book 1901-(1915)
- photographs 1915-35
- property and investment ledgers 1858-96
- architectural drawings, branches 1903
- property register 1904-16
- branch photographs c.1919-20
- title deeds 1834-1907
Note issue records
- banknote register 1834-1918
- banknotes 1830s-1916
- selected records