This private bank was established in 1810 as Robert Perham, Thomas Phelps & Co. Perham was a local butter factor and Phelps a miller. The firm was known as Robert Perham, Thomas Phelps, Peter Smith Payne & Richard & John Alven by 1812. Payne was another butter factor and the Alvens were grocers. In 1819 the bank acquired Hoskins & Co, bankers of Crewkerne. It was styled Phelps, Payne & Co from 1822 and Payne & Co from 1826; it was also known as Crewkerne Bank. The bank was acquired by Stuckey’s Banking Co of Langport in 1829.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Payne & Co have the reference code PAY.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- general ledgers 1810-26