This private bank was established in Maidstone in about 1793 as Brenchley, Stacey, Parker, Springet & Penfold, by local brewers and drapers. It was also known as Kentish Bank. By 1814 it was known as Parker, Penfold, Springet Penfold and by 1816 as Penfold, Stacey & Springet. The bank failed in March 1816 following the suspension of payments by their London agent, Ramsbottoms & Co. Some of its business appears to have been transferred to Corral, Homewood & Mercer when that bank was established in Maidstone in 1818.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Penfold, Springet & Penfold have the reference code PEN.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68 KB).
- banknotes 1815
- customer ledger 1816