This private bank was established in Barnstaple in 1807 as Bury, Nott, Pyke, Scott, Law & Tardrew. It was also known as North Devon Bank. The bank was styled Bury, Pyke & Co by 1812, Bury Scott & Law by 1821 and Bury, Pyke, Scott, Law & Tardew by 1823. In 1836, when known as Pyke, Scott & Co, it was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Pyke, Scott & Co have the reference code PYK.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- abstracts from ledgers 1813-34
- registers of bad and doubtful debts 1816-36
- partner’s account with London bank 1821-8
- papers re account with Exeter General Bank 1823-30
- partnership agreements 1826
- cheques 1826-36
- customer correspondence 1830-9
- letters and statements from London agents 1830-42
- memoranda book re advances 1832
- partner correspondence 1835-40
- amalgamation agreement 1835
- register of joint notes 1835-6
- list of past due bills 1836