This private bank was established in 1812 as Lilly, Brown & Co; it was also known as Glastonbury & Shepton Mallet Bank. The partners were John Lilly, Charles Brown, John Fry Reeves and Marshall Williams. The bank opened branches in Wells in 1820 and later in Shepton Mallet. The bank was known as Lilly, Brown & Reeves from 1815 and Reeves & Co by 1829, when the partners were John Fry Reeves and Thomas Porch Porch. It was acquired by Stuckey’s Banking Co of Langport in 1835.
- PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Reeves & Co have the reference code REE.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- papers re customer 1825-7
- banknotes 1834
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Somerset Archives and Local Studies: Assignment of property for debt 1825-8 (Ref: DD/BR/nw 8)