This private bank was established in 1780 as Ramsbottom & Baverstock; it was otherwise known as the Windsor Bank. It traded as Nevile Reid & Co from 1838, when it was owned by the partners in the London bank of Williams, Deacon, Labouchere & Co who also owned a brewery in Windsor trading under the same name. A branch was opened in Datchet. The bank was acquired by Barclay & Co Ltd (est. 1896), bankers of London, in 1914.
- PW Matthews and AW Tuke, History of Barclays Bank Ltd (London: Blades, East & Blades, 1926)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Nevile Reid & Co have the reference code WC/8.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- accounts, correspondence and notes 1870-88