This private bank was established in Crewkerne in around 1806 by Samuel Sparks and Mr Gidley, linen and worsted manufacturers, as Sparks & Gidley. It was also known as Crewkerne & South Petherton Bank. The bank issued its own banknotes and was known as Sparks & Co by 1810 and Samuel Sparks & Isaac Sparks & Co by 1829. The bank had a branch in Chard from around 1823 to 1829.
Sparks & Co suspended payment in 1829, due to speculation in the local lace and sail cloth trades, and was acquired by Stuckey's Banking Co of Langport.
- PT Saunders, Stuckey’s Bank (Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, 1928)
Summary of archive holdings elsewhere
- Kresen Kernow: Customer receipt 1823 (Ref: X603/64)