Vere & Asgill
Vere & Asgill (c.1730-96) was a bank partnership, one of whose partners later became a partner in a past constituent of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
This bank traces its origins to the goldsmithing business of Glegg & Vere, formed in Lombard Street, London, in about 1730. When Glegg died, Joseph Vere took Charles Asgill into partnership and the firm was renamed Vere & Asgill in 1740. Vere left the partnership in 1753, when he became senior partner in the new bank of Vere, Glyn & Hallifax. The firm was known as Sir Charles Asgill, Nightingale & Wickenden in 1765; Asgill, Nightingale & Nightingale in 1775; John, William & George Nightingale in 1789; and William & George Nightingale in 1791. The bank failed in 1796.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Vere & Asgill have the reference code VA.
- journal 1740-1