This private bank was established in Ilfracombe in 1807 as Lee & Lock, by Nathaniel Vye Lee, a public notary and ship agent, and Walter Lock, a merchant and ship builder. It was called Lee, Vye & Gaydon until 1825; Vye & Gaydon until 1826; and Vye & Harris from 1826. It was also known as Ilfracombe Bank. It suffered a run during the 1825 panic, but recovered. Vye & Harris was acquired by National Provincial Bank of England in 1836.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Vye & Harris have the reference code VYE.
- banknotes: 1835, mutilated 1829-35