Whitehaven Joint Stock Banking Co Ltd
Whitehaven Joint Stock Banking Co Ltd (1829-1908), established in Whitehaven, Cumbria, was a past constituent of NatWest.
This joint stock bank was established in 1829 as Whitehaven Joint Stock Banking Co with a capital of £270,000. The bank initially opened in Roper Street, but in 1838 moved to Queen Street and later, by 1859, to Lowther Street.
Branches were opened in Penrith (1831), Egremont (1865), Maryport (1870), Seascale (1889) and Cleator Moor (1893). Sub-branches were opened at Harrington (1867) and Shap (1869).
Whitehaven Joint Stock Banking Co was registered as an unlimited company in 1873, and in 1888 assumed limited liability as Whitehaven Joint Stock Banking Co Ltd. In 1908 the bank was acquired by Parr’s Bank.
Branches: The bank opened 7 branches and sub-branches between 1829 and 1908. In 1908 5 branches and 2 sub-branches were operating.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Whitehaven Joint Stock Banking Co Ltd have the reference code WHI.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- deed of constitution 1829
- share certificates 1829-35, 1872-1908
- deeds of settlement 1829-73
- papers re share transfer 1837-1908
- share transfer forms n.d., 1845-72
- annual reports 1846-76
- correspondence re London agent 1847
- papers re director appointments 1848-50
- dividend warrants 1840s
- rough directors’ meeting minutes 1857-63
- minutes of meetings of Carlisle Bankers’ Association 1869-70
- general manager’s personal correspondence 1869-83
- papers re registration as unlimited company 1873-4
- regulations and provisions 1888
- share allotment letters 1890
- amalgamation papers 1908
- statement of money lent 1842
- papers re investments 1847-1907
- statement of correspondents’ accounts 1848-9
- interest account 1848-9
- papers re London agent 1849-78
- lists of discounted bills 1857-8
- papers re working expenses 1874-5
- income tax assessments 1875-95
- solicitors’ bills of charges 1855-68
- papers re customer securities 1657-1892
- correspondence and other papers re customers 1815-1901
- customer deposit account balance sheets 1848-60
- lists of customers’ holdings of gilts 1865-70
- credit slips 1869
Head office branch records
- drafts and statements of Penrith branch 1858-9
- correspondence from manager of Penrith branch 1864, 1870-9
- correspondence with other banks in Cumberland re the opening of a branch of the Clydesdale Bank in Whitehaven 1874-5
- clerk apprenticeship indentures 1842-88
- staff fidelity bonds 1849-87
- letters re staff recruitment 1862-83
- papers re Whitehaven premises 1762-74
- papers re new safes 1883
- photograph, Whitehaven premises c.1900
Note issue records
- bankers' licences 1848-93
- papers re destroyed banknotes 1850-61
- banknotes 1857-1909
- letters of indemnity re banknotes 1875-90