The origins of Child & Co. can be traced back to the business of the goldsmith Robert Blanchard, who was first recorded trading in London in 1649.
Sir Francis Child, after whom Child & Co. is named, joined Robert Blanchard in around 1665 and went on to become a celebrated goldsmith, jeweller and banker, as well as serving as an MP and Lord Mayor of London. In 1689 he was knighted and named ‘jeweller in ordinary’ to King William III, and he loaned jewellery to Queen Mary for her coronation in that year.
The firm gradually diversified into banking, until the scale of their banking transactions overtook the original goldsmithing business.
The bank has traded from the same Fleet Street site since 1673. Its impressive Grade II* listed premises, designed by eminent architect John Gibson, were opened on this site in 1880 and transformed in 2015.
Today Child & Co. has a legal and professional services hub that supports many of the biggest law firms in the UK, as well as three of the ‘Big Four’ UK accountancy firms.