Independent non-executive director
Date of appointment:
2 December 2013
Contribution to the Board:
Having run a global investment bank during his executive career, Robert has in-depth knowledge of banking and its role within the economy. As a Chartered Accountant, Robert understands complex organisations and demonstrates strong stakeholder management and leadership skills, which enable him to provide constructive views and contributions during Board discussions.
Robert’s career in investment banking specialised in corporate advisory work. He was also Director General of the Takeover Panel from 2010 until 2013. Prior to that Robert held a number of senior positions at UBS including being global head of investment banking, Chief Executive of UBS for EMEA and Vice Chairman of UBS Investment Bank. Robert began his career at Price Waterhouse (now PwC) and then S.G. Warburg which subsequently became part of UBS.
Robert was also previously Chairman of The Boat Race Company Limited.
Current external appointments:
- Non-executive director of Burford Capital Limited
- Professor of Practice at the University of Durham
- Non-executive director of Social Finance Limited
- Group Performance and Remuneration Committee (Chairman)
- Group Board Risk Committee
- Group Nominations and Governance Committee
- Group Audit Committee