This joint stock bank was established in Bolton in 1836, with a capital of £300,000. It moved to new premises in 1868. The bank assumed limited liability, becoming Bank of Bolton Ltd, in 1879. At that time it had branches in Farnworth, Atherton, Southport, Tyldesley and Walkden. The bank was acquired by Manchester & County Bank Ltd in 1896.
Branches: The bank opened 8 branches and sub-branches between 1836 and 1896. At the time of its acquisition in 1896, 5 branches and 3 sub-branches were operating.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Bank of Bolton Ltd have the reference code BBO.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- deeds of settlement 1836-1869
- directors’ meeting minute books 1836-1897
- certificate of incorporation 1873
- shareholder registers 1873-1895
- directors' attendance book 1879-1897
- annual reports 1880-1896
- directors’ meeting agenda books 1888-1897
- manager's letterbook 1888-1896
- customer account ledgers 1839-1842, 1894-1896
- probate register 1839-1896
- cheque books 1873, 1884
- manager’s remembrancer re customer accounts 1891-1896
- booklet re bank’s services 1886
- selected records