This joint stock bank was established in York Street, Manchester, in 1862 as Manchester & County Bank Ltd. Another joint stock bank was projected in Manchester in 1862 as Northern Counties Bank Ltd. It was to be established in Mosley Street, but the promoters considered that there was not scope for two new banks and joined forces with the proposed new Manchester & County Bank.
The new consolidated bank's initial paid-up capital was almost £224,000 and the first branches were soon opened at Preston, Bacup and Blackburn, followed by Burnley, Rawtenstall and Stalybridge. The head office moved to 55 King Street in 1879 and acquired Saddleworth Banking Co of Dobcross in 1866, Bank of Stockport in 1872 and Bank of Bolton Ltd in 1896. By 1877 paid-up capital was £660,000, reserves totalled £405,000 and there were 19 branches and 12 sub-branches.
The bank continued to expand its branch network and was restyled County Bank Ltd in 1934. It merged with District Bank Ltd in 1935.
Branches: In 1935 190 branches were operating.
- LH Grindon, Manchester banks and bankers (Manchester: Palmer & Howe, 1877)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of County Bank Ltd have the reference code COU.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68KB).
- prospectus 1862
- memoranda and articles of association 1862-1912, 1934
- annual general meeting minute book 1862-1935
- directors' meeting minute books 1865-71, 1931-5
- share certificate 1868
- directors' annual reports 1882-95
- directors’ half-yearly reports 1882-1930
- list of shareholders 1885
- annual reports 1914-34
- private agenda book 1934-5
- private minute book 1934-5
- amalgamation papers 1935
- balance sheets 1862-86, 1893-1935
- cheques 1876-85
- correspondence re investments 1911-31
- investments schedule 1935
- agency terms book n.d.
- cheques and cheque forms 1860s-1930s, 1970s
- customer correspondence 1867-8
- schedules of deeds deposited for security 1870-9
- credit slip 1916
- memorandum book 1934-6
- accounts transfer forms 1935
Head office branch records
- branch circulars 1914-35
- directors' reports on branches 1933-5
- correspondence re staff appointment 1864
- superannuation fund: rules 1906-08, 1928, register 1936
- recruitment leaflet 1912
- staff photographs: directors and managers 1912, presentation 1924, dinner 1920s
- war memorial dedication order of service 1919
- First World War roll of honour c.1920
- staff club dinner menus 1921-35
- widows' and orphans' fund rules 1929
- title deeds schedule, Dobcross 1868
- tender for construction of Manchester premises 1877
- branch architectural drawings c.1890s-1924
- branch photographs c.1900-31
- various branches 1866-(1915)