This joint stock bank was formed in 1833 as Saddleworth Banking Co to consolidate the businesses of the Saddleworth branch of Huddersfield Banking Co (est. 1827), bankers of Huddersfield, and of the private bank of Buckleys, Shaw & Co, bankers of Dobcross.
The main directors were James Buckley, Joseph Walker, Joseph Jones junior and Joseph Brook, and the bank traded from the former premises of Buckleys, Shaw & Co in Dobcross. The bank was open daily at Dobcross and Ashton-under-Lyne and twice weekly at Oldham and the branch managers were Robert Shaw, Francis Shaw Buckley and C J Buckley. Its London agents were Glyn, Hallifax, Mills & Co.
The bank opened new branch premises at Oldham in 1836 and at Dobcross in 1845. The business was badly affected by the effect on its customers of the depression in the cotton trades caused by the American Civil War. In 1866 the bank amalgamated with Manchester & County Bank Ltd of Manchester.
Branches: The bank opened 3 branches between 1833 and 1866. In 1866 2 branches were operating.
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Saddleworth Banking Co have the reference code SAD.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68 KB).
- deed of settlement 1833
- share transfer deeds 1834-62
- shareholder circulars 1834-59, 1860-4
- lists of shareholders 1839-65
- shareholder register 1833-65
- share allotment letters 1864
- share certificates 1860s
- general ledgers 1834-60
- annual report 1862
- customer account ledgers 1833-4
Note issue records
- banknote 1840s
- banker's licences 1864
- selected records