This private bank was established in c.1804 as Moore & Co. It was also known as Mansfield Bank. After many partnership changes, by 1869 it was trading as James & Charles Robinson & Co. In 1870, following the death of James Robinson, the partners sold the business to Samuel Smith & Co, bankers of Nottingham. The Chesterfield branch of the Mansfield Bank, however, was acquired by Sheffield Banking Co of Sheffield in 1870.
Detailed list of name changes
- Moore & Co from c.1804
- Moore, Maltby, Evans & Middlemore by 1810
- Moore, Maltby, Evans, Middlemore & Maltby & Co by 1812
- Abney, Maltby & Coller by 1816
- Maltby & Robinson by 1823
- James Robinson by 1839
- Robinson & Broadhurst by 1842
- James & Charles Robinson & Co by 1869
Also known as Mansfield Bank.
- J A S L Leighton-Boyce, Smiths the bankers 1658-1958 (London: privately printed by National Provincial Bank, 1958)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of James & Charles Robinson & Co have the reference code RBN.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68 KB).
- banknote c.1816
- cheque form n.d.
- deeds of copartnership 1832-43
- partners’ private ledger 1853-67