This joint stock bank was established in Sheffield as Sheffield Banking Co in 1831 with a capital of £300,000. The first manager was James Drabble. Branches were opened in Rotherham (1834) and Chesterfield (1865). The firm issued banknotes from 1831 until 1905.
The bank acquired most of the business of Parker, Shore & Co (est. 1770), bankers of Sheffield, when that firm failed in 1843 and the Chesterfield branch of James & Charles Robinson & Co, bankers of Mansfield, in 1870. The bank was registered as an unlimited company in 1873 and assumed limited liability as Sheffield Banking Co Ltd with an increased capital of £1 million in 1880.
Further branches were opened in Conisborough (1892, now Conisbrough), Gainsborough (1894), Swinton (1898), Worksop (1899), Doncaster (1912) and Barnsley (1913) along with a further 10 branches in Sheffield and 9 agencies. In 1919 Sheffield Banking Co Ltd amalgamated with National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd of London.
Branches: The bank opened 32 branches, sub-branches and agencies between 1831 and 1913. In 1919 19 branches and 11 sub-branches were operating.
- R E Leader, The Sheffield Banking Co Ltd: an historical sketch 1831-1916 (Sheffield: 1916)
Summary of our archive holdings
Our archival records of Sheffield Banking Co Ltd have the reference code SBC.
For help understanding words used here, check our glossary of banking record types (PDF 68 KB).
- share receipts 1831-6
- deeds of settlement 1831-1910
- shareholder circular 1832
- share certificates 1832-57
- annual general meeting proceedings incl. annual reports 1833-1920
- certificates of incorporation 1873-1910
- minutes and reports of the directors 1833-5, 1885-1918
- share allotment list 1880
- shareholder lists 1918-9
- papers concerning the establishment of branches of Scottish banks in England 1874-5
- amalgamation papers 1880-1937
- general ledger 1831-8
- bills of exchange and receipts 1833-70
- register of deeds and investments 1860s-1923
- balance sheet 1906
- cheque forms 1840s-1910s
- customer standing order 1888
- securities forms 20th cent
- staff salary and bonus receipts 1916-8
- fire insurance policies 1830-1
- branch premises schedule 1919
- property title deeds 1840-66
Note issue records
- banknote artwork 1831-3
- banknote register 1874-1907
- banknote printing plates n.d.
- selected records
- records of the Association of English Country Bankers held by Sheffield Banking Co 1858-83