This note was issued on 14 July 2005, the first day of the 2005 Open Golf Championship at St Andrews, and celebrated the remarkable career of Jack Nicklaus, who won the Open three times, including twice at St Andrews.
It was the first British banknote to feature a named living non-royal person. Special features included:
- images of Nicklaus holding the Claret Jug and playing a shot on his way to victory in 1978
- the clubhouse at St Andrews
- Nicklaus's winning scores at St Andrews in 1970 and 1978
- a card of the St Andrews course for the 2005 Open
- Nicklaus's Golden Bear logo and the serial number prefix JWN, standing for Jack William Nicklaus.