Helping a customer buy and own a home is one of the most significant things we can do for them.
Additionally, supporting our customers if they have trouble paying can make a significant difference to their lives.
More than ever in 2021, we have stepped up to support our mortgage customers through uncertain times.
Mortgage highlights 2021:
New mortgage customers
- This year we have helped more than 167,000 new customers complete their mortgage application, totalling over £35bn worth of gross new lending.
- More than 48,000 of these customers were first-time buyers (*).
- Digital mortgage applications continue to grow, increasing 59% year on year.
- In August 2021 we launched our Green re-mortgage product to complement the existing Green Mortgage purchase product which went live in October 2020. Retail Banking Green Mortgage products offer a lower interest rate for customers purchasing, porting or re-mortgaging a property with an EPC rating of A or B, rewarding them for choosing an energy efficient home. In November 2021 Retail Banking extended its Green Product offering to include Green buy-to-let Mortgages. The reduced interest rate for EPC A or B rated buy-to-let properties intends to encourage the purchase of energy efficient rental homes. Retail Banking completed Green Mortgages with a value of £728 million during 2021(*).
Existing mortgage customers
- This year more than 217,000 of our existing customers coming to the end of their deal have chosen to take a new deal with us, with over 133,000 of these customers choosing to renew their mortgage digitally.
- In 2021 we developed functionality to allow customers to get easy access to information on making overpayment and any associated fees. The customer can then make a payment which will reflect on their mortgage within an hour.
- In addition, we introduced functionality to automatically roll customers onto new products they selected at point of roll off.
- Banking My Way ensures customers in vulnerable situations get the support they need each time they contact us.
- We remain focused on helping vulnerable customers at risk of being financially stretched. We proactively contact customers who:
- Other forms of contact include:
Home repossession is always a last resort for NatWest Group, we have a team dedicated to supporting customers in financial difficulty and find the best way to manage this with them. It is our policy to only go ahead with a repossession after all other appropriate options have been explored with the customer.
In 2021, we repossessed 192** properties, compared with 100** in 2020.
Repossessions, although increasing this year, continue to be low due to the continuation of the Covid-19 moratorium. The majority of repossessions were either vacant, or keys handed back.
(*) Within the scope of EY Assurance. See our External Assurance page for details.
** total includes both Personal & Business properties.