A strong operating performance from Personal & Business Banking (PBB) and Commercial & Private Banking (CPB) contributed to an attributable profit of £293 million for Q2 2015 (loss of £153 million for H1 2015):
Q2 operating profit(1) was £304 million, in line with Q1 2015. Litigation and conduct costs were lower at £459 million compared with £856 million in Q1 2015, while restructuring costs rose to £1,050 million from £453 million in Q1 2015 as the pace of restructuring accelerated.
Adjusted operating profit(2) was £1,813 million, up 11% from Q1 2015 but down 7% from Q2 2014, principally driven by reduced income in Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB) following the planned scaling back of the business. Q2 2015 income benefited from a £205 million credit for IFRS volatility(3), compared with a £123 million charge in Q1 2015. H1 2015 adjusted operating profit was £3,447 million, up 2% from H1 2014.
Discontinued operations included a fair value gain of £517 million, of which £211 million was attributable to RBS, reflecting the rise in market value of Citizens shares and broadly reversing the loss recorded in Q1 2015.
Tangible net asset value per ordinary and equivalent B share was 380p at 30 June 2015 compared with 384p at 31 March 2015.
RBS is making good progress against its 2015 targets, moving faster in delivering its plan:
Positive lending momentum across UK Personal & Business Banking (UK PBB) and Commercial Banking.
Statistically significant improvement in Net Promoter Scores (NPS) year-on-year in four of the seven businesses where it is measured.
Adjusted return on equity(4) in the Go-forward Bank is estimated at 14% for H1 2015.
Capital position strengthened further with Common Equity Tier 1 ratio up 80 basis points in Q2 2015 to 12.3%.
Exit Bank ahead of plan with continuing progress on sales and run-off.
On track to achieve £800 million cost reduction target(5).
RBS CEO Ross McEwan explains how these results show progress on our plan.
(1) Operating profit/(loss) before tax, own credit adjustments, gain on redemption of own debt and strategic disposals and includes the results of Citizens (excluding any fair value adjustment) which are classified as discontinued operations in the statutory results. The half year and quarter ended 30 June 2014 are stated before RFS minority interest.
(2) Excluding restructuring, litigation and conduct costs.
(3) IFRS volatility relates to loans which are economically hedged but for which hedge accounting is not permitted under IFRS.
(4) Calculated using operating profit after tax on a non-statutory basis excluding restructuring and litigation and conduct costs adjusted for preference share dividends divided by average notional equity (based on 13% of average RWA equivalent (RWAe)).
(5) Excluding restructuring, litigation and conduct costs, write-off of intangible assets, and operating expenses of Citizens and Williams & Glyn.
Conference call replay
To access a replay dial-in from the following telephone numbers and use the appropriate access code from the list below:
UK free call dial: 0800 953 1533
International dial: +44 (0) 1452 550 000
Ireland local call dial: 01 431 9815
USA free call dial: 1 866 247 4222
Australia free call dial: 1 800 613 774
Hong Kong free call dial: 8009 013 93
Singapore local call dial: 315 836 38
India free call dial: 1 800 300 089 80